This sandwich recipe is ideal for a quick lunch, takes about 15 minutes to prepare and yields 2 servings. It can be prepared with both ham and beef or you can exclude either one and you’ll still have an amazing sandwich!
- ¼ of an onion
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 slices of fully-cooked ham
- 2 slices of cheese
- 1 cup of diced mushrooms
- 2 slices of ground chuck beef patties
- 2 buns
- Thousand Island dressing, mustard or mayonnaise
- Season the burger patties with black pepper and salt and set aside.
- Slice the mushrooms and onions into smaller pieces and set aside.
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and place the patties in the skillet. There is no need to oil the skillet before placing the patties. Cook the patties, about 5 minutes on each side.
- While the patties are cooking, put the butter in another skillet and heat on medium until the butter is no longer frothing. Add the mushrooms to the butter and cook until softened. Toss the mushrooms while cooking to ensure that they cook evenly. Once softened and reduced in size, add lemon pepper seasoning and cook for a further 1 minute. Remove the mushrooms from the skillet and set aside.
- When the patties are ready, turn off the heat and place a slice of cheese on each patty. Let the cheese melt slightly (this should take about a minute) then remove the patties and place them each on the bottom half of a bun.
- Continue to build the sandwich by placing a slice of ham on the cheese, add some mushrooms then another slice of ham. Next, add the sliced onions and then pour your choice of mustard, mayonnaise or Thousand Island dressing and finally place the top half of the bun.
- Enjoy your sandwich! If you will not consume it immediately, refrigerate it and then heat for 1 minute in a microwave oven when you are ready to eat it.